Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Welcome

Welcome to the PGDip/MA programme in Landscape Archaeology GIS and Virtual Environments 2012-13.  

My name is Keith Challis and I am a research fellow in remote sensing in the Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity.  I'll be supporting Dr Henry Chapman, the programme leader, by coordinating content and delivery for distance learners in Semester 1 (until the Christmas break) so think of me as your first point of contact and please come to me with questions, problems and inquiries as you have need.  I'll also be teaching a fair part of core content, particularly in the GIS and Virtual Landscapes modules.

You should by now find that your are enrolled on webCT (weblearn.bham.ac.uk) with access to your relevant modules (for continuing students this is module 4: GIS and Spatial Analysis, for new students this is module 1: Landscape Archaeology).  

Teaching begins on Monday 24th September, and webCT content will appear at timetabled intervals from Monday.  In the meantime you should also find that you have access to an induction/administration section on webCT with some information about the course structure, student handbook, etc.

Can I invite you all to read through this material and get back to me with any questions.  I'd also like to invite you to tell us all a little about yourself (continuing students you might want to update the information you gave us last year).  We'll be using a collaborative blog (gianswers.blogspot.com) to discuss and share views and information this year.  You should shortly receive an invitation to register as an author on the blog, once you have done so you will be able to upload and edit content. Use this space frequently to keep us all up to date with your study, learning experience and questions to which others can respond.

Please bear with us over the first few weeks of term as we iron out technical and administrative glitches.  I hope you have an enjoyable learning experience over the next year or two, remember if you have any immediate questions or problems, or as the course progresses, I am just an email or phone call away.